Monday, June 1, 2009

Dental work bites

I am home now, thank goodness. Out of the dentist's chair where I lay for an hour and a half this morning. The right side of my face is still numb...from my lips, to my gums, teeth, tongue and down my neck actually. How could getting a filling be such torture. It was a back molar, if that makes any difference.

So, I brought Baylee with me who is an amazing patient there. It probably wasn't the best idea after all. The first half an hour she spent writing her numbers to 112 and then got a little bored. Seeing Mom's need for a hand to hold, she made her way up to me and held my hand the rest of the time. It actually brought me comfort even in its smallness.

The dentist, his assistant and I were having a great time...chatting, analyzing the Beattles song "Hey, Jude," that was playing on their radio. It's an Amazing song. I got them in the know about the two minute ending. You know the Na, na na na na na na. Well it just seems like the song will never, ever end and I just politely skip to the next song when its playing on my ipod.

Maybe its just been too many years since I have had a filing, but WOW I was not liking it. They seemed to take so long, first they numbed it and them came the anesthetic, it was close to the pain of an epidural really. (Yes, I am comparing this to child birth) It was a sharp pain that lasted two minutes and then it just kept getting worse.

At this point I couldn't talk, just when the dentist said something really interesting. We've all been there in the chair. When you so badly want to respond, but 'uh uh' is all that can come out. So you just agree with everything they are saying as they continue to put saliva suckers in your cheeks and under your tongue.

My mouth can only stand being open for so long. Especially while their hands are in their moving stuff around. They inserted some kind of clamping bar that goes around the tooth. Then the assistant gets me a mirror for me to look at my self. What was I going to say...their was gauze rolls and a big metal tool sticking out of my mouth, while drool crept down the other corner.

'Uuuu' is all that would come out and giggles is all I could hear in the room. Even Baylee thought I looked pretty funny. So, back to work they go prodding, pinching... uncomfortable to say the least. When all of a sudden something metal feeling pops open and hits my top teeth. Ouch.

So after getting the words HELP out...grabbing on to my dentist's arm and moaning even louder, they all thought it was hilarious I guess. All they could do is laugh and really seemed to be enjoying themselves. Well after comments that sneaked out like, I'm scared, I don't like this, can I drive today? What are you guys doing in there? I can't blame them.

At this point I was thinking I didn't mind the cavity so much and please let this be over right now. Baylee never let go of my hand and told me later that I was a little bit of a good patient. So honest of her.

Almost three hours later and yep still numb, with a headache on one side of my head. My best advice to all, keep brushing, flossing, fluoride treatments, mouth wash...all the preventative dental care goods you can get your hands on. No body wants to get a cavity. Trust me.

1 comment:

  1. Probably my most favourite post I have ever read... haha!! you make me laugh....

    ReplyDelete