Saturday, January 24, 2009

Portraying Abish




I was asked to play the Book of Mormon character, Abish. What an awesome experience it was for me to learn about Abish and tell her story...I told here story seven times to the primary children this morning. It was our Stake primary activity and their were several of us portraying Book of Mormon characters. I think it was a great idea for the kids to see these characters brought to life. The kids asked us questions and learned so much today. Everyone did a fabulous job, it was very impressive and I was glad to be a part of it. We had Captain Moroni, Lehi, Sariah, the angel Moroni, Samuel, Nephi, Abish (me) and Joseph Smith.
If you are interested in reading about Abish, this is what I shared with the childen today. You can read all about it in Alma, chapter 19 as well.

My name is Abish.
I am a lamanite woman.
I work in King Lamoni’s court as a servant to King Lamoni’s queen.
When I was a young girl growing up, I learned from the teachings of my father following his experience with a “great vision.”
I spent my time developing my testimony in secret. I would continue learning, fasting and praying.
I believed in the teachings of the gospel, even though no one in my community shared my faith.

While working in the palace for King Lamoni, I did like them very much. There was a man named Ammon, who was a Nephite and a Shepherd to King Lamoni. King Lamoni was impressed by Ammon’s abilities. The King questioned him about his belief’s. Ammon taught the whole plan of redemption, the King realized that Ammon’s words were true. Being filled with such joy, he fell to the earth, as if dead. King Lamoni’s wife, the queen also heard and became overcome with the spirit. She likewise fell to the ground, overcome with joy.

Ammon was so thankful to Heavenly Father that he also fell to the ground. When the servants came to find all of them on the ground, they began to pray. Then, they also began to fill the spirit and were over come with joy.

I was very happy because I knew what had happened to them. It was awesome! The spirit had overcome them all with joy. I wanted everyone outside of the castle to feel the spirit too and be converted to the gospel. So, I began to run from house to house, calling the people to come to the house of the King. Soon, the palace was filled with many people.

They were astonished to see the King and the Queen and the servants lying on the ground as if dead. They also saw Ammon amongst them and knew he was a Nephite. Some thought he brought a great evil against the King’s household and called him the Nephite monster. They didn’t know what to do. One man drew his sword to kill Ammon…and when he did, he fell dead.

I thought it would be a wonderful event, but the people were fighting and confused with what they saw. They wanted to kill Ammon, this man of God. I began to cry!!

I wanted to raise the queen from the ground and so I took her hand. She immediately rose and cried with a loud voice saying “O blessed Jesus, who has saved me. O blessed Jesus, have mercy on this people.” The King also rose up and began to preach the gospel, which Ammon had taught him. I felt so good inside, as the people were listening to the King. Then, Ammon also added his words. The people no longer wished to do evil and they wished to be baptized. The king and queen were baptized.

I believe that through my faith and humility, along with the queens’, that these miracles happened.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! Monica, you're the best! I loved the spirit you brought into the character. I would say everything came off no less than superbly fabulous! I'm glad I know you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Monica! You were perfect!

    ReplyDelete